Castles for Sale
Sorry, you will not be able to buy this castle no matter how much money you have, the castle belongs to us!
There are many castles for sale throughout Europe. They range from historic castles in desperate need of renovation to splendid castles which have been fully restored. There are castles that can be bought for as little as 1.00 Euro to castles that cost 20 million euros, and in all price ranges in-between.
The castles which are for sale often go back to the 12th and 13th century, but many were built or rebuilt during the Renaissance and Baroque period. They were embellished in the elaborate style of these times often replacing earlier once simpler or crude structures.
Anyone can become an owner of such a castle providing you have the funds to buy and renovate the castle. Unless you have or can arrange financing, banks in Europe do not loan money for castles. Foreign nationals in Germany and most other EU countries, with some exceptions, can own property outright. In some other eastern European countries a buyer may have to establish a corporation through which he can buy the castle or form a joint ownership corporation with a local resident.
Before you decide to buy a castle you should read the information below carefully, it will give you an idea of the steps you have to take to become a castle owner.
- You must have the funds for the purchase. If you have to rely on money coming from real estate you may want to sell it first, then start castle hunting. If you are planning on taking out a loan for the purchase, forget it, banks do not loan money for castles. Thus, as stated above, you have to have the funds to buy and renovate the castle. However, you do not have to renovate everything at once. You can renovate step by step and stretch renovation out over a number of years. But you do have to have the cash to purchase the castle.
- If you are now thinking about that notoriously alluring price tag of 1:00 Euro, it’s not all that advantageous a deal as it sounds. For one thing the one euro is for the building only, you still have to pay for the land the castle stands on. But that is not the worst of it as the land is usually sold at the going market rate. It is the condition of the building and the fact that castles sold for one Euro are always the property of a town or county government. This means lots of stipulations and deadlines. The purchase contract alone can take months since your intention to buy the castle and your intended use have to be brought up before the town council whose members will decide in several sessions whether or not you are the right buyer. In the end the council members vote on it. The majority of the council will have to vote for you. If the majority is against you buying the castle, you have wasted a lot of time trying to get the castle. Buying from a private owner is for the most part preferable. No deadlines to finish renovation, no stipulation of how much to invest.
- But that does not mean that after you purchase the castle you can pick up a hammer and go to work. Whether you buy from a private owner or from a city government, you have to apply for a building permit before you start the restoration work. For that you have to have an architect who will draw up plans unless plans do exist and you don’t want to make changes from the original lay-out. A building permit can cost from 3000 euros to 6000 euros. At the same time you have to contact the Denkmalschutz, the historic preservation department of the state. They will then send someone who will take his time going through the castle to inspect it for to historic attributes that must be preserved. They will also tell you what color you can paint the facade, what floors, windows, ceilings etc. you have to preserve. Usually they can’t stipulate to much when it comes to your private quarters, although if there are original floors, doors, windows, they still stipulate to restore them. Such an inspection can take a month or two. It is not free, the cost can run from 5000 euros to 15,000 euros. But in most cases the state will reimburse you 50%. Although do not count on it.
- When you start restoration you have to hire a Baumeister (general contractor) who, before he begins has to inform the building department that he will begin renovation. He also has to inform the Denkmalschutz. Both agencies will keep an eye on the project to make sure nothing is done that should not be done.
- You must take into consideration that investing in a castle is investing is not something to get rich with overnight. It takes a bit of time to renovate a castle and set up a business venture, but once restored a castle always retains its value. The right use concept is important to make castle a profitable investment. We can advise you on this.
- A 3% to 6% commission applies to all purchases. If the property is less than 100,000.00 euros a consulting fee of 7,500 euros applies. If the property is listed with a an other realtor, the commission stipulated by the realtor applies.
- If a castle shows a purchase price of 1.00 Euro that is the price for the structure. The actual sale price is the value of the land on which the castle stands on. This cost varies with the location of the castle and the size of the land. The 1.00 Euro is only the cost of the structure which can still be a very good value depending on the condition of the building.
PARTNERS – Unless you have the funds to buy and renovate which more or less can add up to a million or two euros, consider buying a castle together with several partners. It is the smart way and the only way of becoming the owner of a castle. Financing is very difficult if not impossible. Partners can either be working partners or silent partners. They can be persons you know, or add your name to our list which will appear just below this paragraph in January. It is the way we bought our castle (shown above) for which we have an opening for one more partner who will be an owner of 20% of the castle and its business. It is not only a way to make castle ownership possible, but it is also fun to have partners with whom to plan and discuss the project. If you have questions send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details contact us at: email@example.com
or call us at 775-852-5105 Mon. to Fri. 9 am to 4:30 pm west coast time.
CASTLES FOR SALE
Click on images to enlarge them.
Use back button to return to page.
All measurements and costs are approximate and may vary from those shown.
Schloss Schochwitz – This castle has been renovated and is an operating health spa and a wedding venue. The owners will assist buyers with the take-over of the business. The castle is located in a small village 30 minutes from the Leipzig-Halle Intentional Airport and about 45 minutes from Leipzig, two hours from Berlin. The floor space is about 17,000 square feet and the grounds are an acre. However, the grounds boarder a nature preserve and a small lake, thus no one can ever build behind the castle. The purchase price is 750,000 Euros, including the business simultaneously. For more details send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
HISTORIC MOUNTAIN RESORT – This 19th century castle has an illustrious history. It is located in a mountainous region in south eastern Saxony and has a splendid setting on a hillside above a small village. Nearby are ski areas and a renown blob sled run of international splendor. Although the castle is far removed from busy roads, it is easily accessible. The Baroque city of Dresden is about an hour’s drive away. Prague in the Czech Republic is less than two hours away. The castle can be bought inexpensively but it does need total restoration, estimated a million-plus euros. But when restored it has great potential as a summer and winter resort. For interested buyers with limited funds we suggest to form a partnership with three or four others so the restoration becomes quite affordable. For details call 775.852.5105 or send us an e-mail to: email@example.com
LIMITED LIABILITY CORORATION for sale in Germany including an 850-year old KNIGHS CASTLE with an imposing history. The castle has been partially renovated and has one very large apartment that is move-in ready as well a one smaller apartment and an office. The grounds are about one acre but it is possible too obtain bordering the castle. The location of the castle is near a large city and within thirty driving minutes of an international airport. A lucrative business plan is in place and can be negotiated along with the sale of the castle. Purchase price is 950,000.00 Euros firm. This is a private sale, an interested buyer will have to provide proof of funds to engage in negotiations. For further details send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
SPA TOWN CASTLE IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC – This castle was built in 1771 reflecting the Baroque architecture of this time, but its history goes back to 1250 B.C.. The castle is is located on the edge of a popular spa town in Bohemia, 40 km north of the center of Prague and about the same distance from the German border. The castle has been completely renovated. It has it has approximately 11,000 square feet of living space and about 2 acres of land with some estate houses which are part of the property. It also has its own mineral water well, for which the spa town is famous. The castle would be ideal as a health clinic since the town is a very much visited tourist destination, or as a dental clinic since it is close to the German border where dental services are considerably more expensive than in the Czech Republic. It would also lend itself well as a private residence. The castle has about 6000 square feet of floor space plus another 2,500 square feet in an additional building. The castle and former estate house is set on two acres of nice park land. The purchase price is 1,250,000.00 Euros. Please send an e-mail for further details to: email@example.com or contact the owner, Hans Ramp, directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHLOSS WENDISCHBORA – This castle dates to the 15th century and was the birthplace and childhood home of Katherina von Bora, the wife of the reformer Martin Luther. It is located in a scenic valley in the small village of Wendischbora with easy access to major roads. Dresden, the capitol of Saxony, and one of the great Baroque cities of Europe, is 30 km, about 18 miles, away. The castle has been totally renovated and is move-in ready. It has 1000 square meters, about 11,000 square feet, of floor space on two levels. The grounds woodland. The purchase price is 950,00 euros For further details contact: Hans Ramp at email@example.com or Posh Journeys at: firstname.lastname@example.org
HISTORIC COUNTRY ESTATES AND VINEYARDS IN ITALY – The estate is located in the hilly mountains on the border of the provinces of Marche and Emilia Romagna in the center of Italy. The grounds of the estate are 25-plus acres. The sloping land and the climate is suitable for planting grapes. Additional land to expand the vineyards can be acquired. The location of the estates among sunny mountain slopes and close to the Adriatic Sea, is ideal to grow Italy’s iconic Sangiovese grape. The two estates can be bought separate or together. Perched on a hill above the estates is a centuries-old hilltop village. Once it was an important fortified village with a castle at it center, but it has been abandoned and the years have taken its toll. The village is for sale and can be bought together with the one or both of the estates, or by itself. For more information, details, pictures, and costs, write to:
email@example.com or call 775.852.5105 – from outside the United States call 001.775.852.5105
CASTLE KLINGENBERG – The castle has recently been totally renovated on the outside including repairing the roof. The remaining interior renovation is estimated at about 300,000 euros. The castle is one of the oldest knights castles in Saxony going back to the early 16th century. The floor space is is 14,000 square feet, the grounds are about one half acre.The location is good, distance to Dresden, the capitol of Saxony is about 20 miles. The castle faces a small square, the back side overlooks the wooded countryside. Since the castle stands at the edge of a hill, the view can never be obstructed. A couple good business opportunity exists here. The purchase price is 125,000 Euros. For a picture expose send us an e-mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org UNDER NEGOTIATION
MALL HUNTING CASTLE IN SAXONY – This small castle has been partially renovated, prospective buyers are invited to spend a night in the castle to familiarize themselves with it. The castle is 30 km from the city of Dresden and about a 40 minutes drive from the Dresden Airport. It has a floor space of 4,000 feet and has 5 acres of grounds. The purchase price is 500,000 euros. This castle can be moved in to at once and no renovation is necessary except for personal updating to some interior spaces and appliances.
1,000 YEAR OLD CASTLE – This castle has a true fairy tale look and a beautiful setting on the Elbe river and on the edge of the historic port town of Muehlberg. The location is good with easy access to the city of Leipzig and Dresden, the historic town of Meissen, the Elbe river wine region and within two hour of Berlin. The castle has been partially renovated, and is in good condition. It has about 26,000 square feet of floor space and 6 acres of grounds. For more information and pictures send an email to: email@example.com
ROMANTIC CASTLE ESTATE – This elaborate and historic castle is located in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in the Baltic region of Germany in a popular holiday area. It was built in 1871 and is set in a large park of about 15 acres. The castle itself has a floor area of 20,000 square feet. The roof and the outside has been renovated in part in 2007, but having stood empty since then, massive total interior renovation is needed, approximate cost to restore the castle is 2 to 3 million euros. However it is one of the few castles with large plots of land and its setting is beautiful. An ideal use would be as a boutique spa hotel and restaurant or private residence if you prefer a countryside location. The asking price is 280,000.00 euros. Contact us for further details and purchase information.
PARTNERS – Frequently an interested buyer is able to purchase a castle but when it comes to restoration cost it is often the end of the line. The solution is to partner with others who have the same interest and who are in the same boat. Let’s take the Casthle Mutschen shown above, for instance. The purchase price is 350,000 euros. The renovation costs are estimated at 1.5 mil. euros. If you find four partners the total investment comes to about 500,000 euros, and each partner has to put up to own the fully restored castle. If this sparks your interest send us your name and contact and we will post a list here. You can then contact each other from the names posted.
*****IMPOSING BAROQUE CASTLE IN SAXONY – This is a large castle set in an extensive English style park with a lake and the river Spree running through it. During the East German time the castle was a hospital and it was kept up until the early 90’s after which time it had several owners, none who did much with it. The location is very good, within about two hours drive of Berlin and Dresden. The country’s around it are a popular tourist region. The 1000-year old town of Bautzen is about half an hour away and the Dresden, and the Dresden Airport are about 1.5 hours away. Contact us at: contact@posh
*HISTORIC VILLA IN THE SPA TOWN OF BAD WILDUNGEN. The estate includes several other buildings, all totally renovated including a bungalow on a hillside. The grounds are about 20 acres. Although very private, the estate has good access to major roads. The villa is partially furnished with classic antiques and a section of it is furnished with old country-style furniture and hunting trophies. A section of the grounds is zoned for additional buildings. This is a prestigious estate for a discriminating investor. The asking price is 2.9 million euros. E-mail us for further information and a picture expose at: firstname.lastname@example.org
CASTLE DAHLEN – The Baroque Castle Dahlen is among some of the most historic castles in Saxony. Although it burned to the ground in 1973, its original form has not been destroyed. The castle is located in a large city park which could possibly be bought along with the castle, or if it stays the property of the city, it will be city maintained. The castle has a floor space of about 1,700 square meters or about 18,500 square feet. An ideal use would be as a museum because of its historic importance. A former administrative building, now used as an apartment is part of the property. Purchase price is to be negotiated with the city. Renovation costs depend on the extend of art, stucco work and wall paintings restored, but the cost could conceivably run between 2, and 4 Million euros.
CASTLE MARTINSKIRCHEN – This elaborate Baroque castle was built early in the 18th century by the brother of Count Bruehl, right hand adjutant to the famous Saxon King Augustus the Strong. The castle is located in the countryside along the Elbe river, about an hours drive from Leipzig or Dresden. The outside of the castle has been historically renovated, renovation work is still necessary on the inside. Many original features such a an elaborately painted ceiling in the ballroom still exist. The castle is set on about 4 acres of ground. The floor space of the castle is about 24,000 square feet. Two large historic barns/stables and a gate house are part of the property. Purchase price on request.
The castles below are subject to availability, check with us for their current status.